view from a train in Norway

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Drill

The most important tool for a new home owner is a power drill. With a full set of drill bits, which can be purchased at Home Depot for about $15.00. We bought the bits after we received the drill for Christmas. As with the grill, it was a gift that I only belatedly came to appreciate, but the drill has already proven its worth. It enabled us to put in shelves, an additional lock on the front door, assemble furniture quickly....

It is, however, important to note a caveat: learn how to use the drill before you actually attempt to put holes in the walls of your new house. It will save you some grief. Tired of waiting for my husband to get home, I decided to use the drill myself to do some minor household project. How hard could it possibly be? Insert bit, press button. Easy-peasy in theory, but in the practice of it, I put some dents in the wood of our front door, scratched up the paint a bit. :( I also broke one of the drill bits (but don't tell my husband).

At least I escaped physically unscathed, which is more than I can say for some of the other projects I've undertaken.

No comments: