view from a train in Norway

Saturday, September 29, 2007

I'm still alive

I survived week 1 of being back at a law firm. Actually, it wasn't too bad. I've been busy, but not painfully so. Good busy. And the people are nice. It already seems like a more relaxed environment than at my old firm. The infrastructure isn't nearly as good, but what are you going to do.

It's a beautiful Saturday here, but I'm heading into the office for a little bit. Would've liked to have gone surfing this weekend and last, but I've developed, of all things, a case of shingles. Yes, shingles. It's caused by the chicken pox virus, which lives in your system forever once you've had a case of chicken pox. Usually, though, it only reactivates in old people or people with otherwise compromised immune systems. I think maybe I was more stressed about starting the new job than my conscious mind was aware.

Anyhow, it's not life-threatening or even particularly debilitating, although it is painful. Feels like I've ripped a bunch of muscles in my right side. But it's getting better. Today it feels more like someone kicked me hard a couple of times in the ribs. This by itself wouldn't stop me from surfing (I've had worse injuries), but the compromised immune system thing scares me - there are a lot of nasty bugs in the water, and if my immune system isn't up to the task right now, then I'm not going to push it. After all, I have a job to do.

No comments: