view from a train in Norway

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Into the Woods

We live close to a park, and every morning, when I open the blinds, I look out onto sunrise over the tops of the trees across the way. It's beautiful, and it makes me happy to be here, even if the apartment has been a disappointment in other respects. In general, I've been feeling much happier lately. Part of it is the excitement of the holidays, and friends and family coming into town. Part of it is...I don't know. Better attitude?

My biggest source of worry these days is my sister. She recently broke up with her boyfriend, and, while everyone who cares about her agrees that this is a good thing, she has been taking it rather hard. I wish there was something I could do. I'm not sure that setting her up with someone new would help that much. And even if it would, I don't know anyone. I used to know a lot of single guys, but in recent years they have all become part of couples. Plus, she's my little sister and I don't want to set her up with just anyone. He has to be perfect, or as close to it as possible.

Worry...it's funny, even though I no longer work for the Man, I feel like I still have just as much worry in my life, although it is a different kind of worry. Things that I didn't have time to worry about before, but now I do. What's that rule, the one that says that things expand to take up as much time or as much room as has been left for them? I guess worry is the same way.

No comments: