view from a train in Norway

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Burgers and Bad Memories

Hung out with some friends at Burgermeister, up in the city, last night. The burgers were spectacular, as were the malts. Highly recommend the place. It's been nice to see so many friends lately, too. Sometimes I get so into hermit mode that I forget that I actually like my friends.

It was a good evening, except for a phone call that I'd had earlier, with a different friend. She just happened to mention a name that I haven't heard in years. Hearing it again brought back unpleasant memories.

There are friends I used to have that I have no longer: I've learned, sadly, that boys and girls can never really be friends. It gets too complicated. I think I've been unfair to certain people in the past because I didn't really understand this. And it still hurts to think about. I'd rather not be reminded.

I was in a club with some friends some nights ago. My husband wasn't there (probably working). One of my friends put his hand on my back and kept it there for awhile; it felt like a possessive gesture. Later, he put his arm around me. And without thinking about it, I leaned back into him. It was the awkward culmination to months of awkwardness. I no longer see that friend.

No comments: