view from a train in Norway

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Direction

Recently had dinner with a classmate. He was in town and looked us up. Great guy, friendly and smart and humble. All this despite the fact that he is famous. The Wall Street Journal and New York Times routinely call him for quotes. He is known by judges and lawyers and professors the country over. Universities have flocked to offer him professorships.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. But being around him does make me wonder, what have I been doing with myself? We were the same year, and he's accomplished so much, while I've accomplished...what?

I envy him, not his success, but his sense of direction. I admire people who are so clear about what they want out of life. Or rather, who are good at prioritizing their desires. I know what I want, but I'm not good about narrowing things down: I want it all. I want to write, and to practice law, and to have a family, and to be a world traveler, and to spend lots of time surfing, and...and...

No comments: