view from a train in Norway

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

No rain

1.

It's cloudy, gloomy, and that feels strange. After months of sunshine and perfect weather, I'd forgotten what an overcast day looks like. I wish it would rain, but nobody's calling for it.

I remember you coming into my room, hesitantly, to tell me what you had heard. Telling it as a story, rather than asking me, because you knew you had no right to ask. No right to be upset, but I could tell that you were.

What I don't remember is what I said, how I responded. Did I laugh? Get angry? Deny everything? The end of this story is a blank, the look on your face is a blank; what I remember is the hesitancy in your voice, because that was what calmed me. That you knew that you had no right.

2.

You had cut your hair and I didn't recognize you at first. Even your smile looked different. We went to a restaurant and I told you I was getting married. Both of us smiled widely, wildly, my cheekbones aching with the strain.

3.

I'm sorry I never showed up. I'm sorry I lied to you. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

No comments: