view from a train in Norway

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Standing Still

It's a funny feeling, watching people you've witnessed worrying over who to ask to the prom, or whether they should re-take the SAT, or what to tell their parents about the wrecked car, suddenly become parents themselves. I get so many baby announcements these days - as many as, or maybe even more than, wedding invitations. Pictures of boys and girls I used to know suddenly transformed into fathers and mothers. It freaks me out. All these pictures of these now-strangers, holding these babies, these miniature people that didn't even used to exist and now suddenly do.

I spent several hours today shopping for baby things. Of course, every time I went to check out, the salesperson ringing me up would have to ask if I was expecting. I like to think of myself as perpetually young, but I, like seemingly everyone around me, am at the age where this is a not-so-improbable supposition. It does seem, however, that the world has a singularly one-track mind when it comes to the subject of babies. I can't escape it. At a party the other day, I found myself sitting next to two anesthesiologists. The talk inevitably turned to epidurals. I asked a lot of questions (being afraid of needles, and even more afraid of incompetent doctors, since so many of my classmates went on to medical school). Eventually, one of the anesthesiologists turned to me and asked if I was expecting. Sigh. Do I really look old enough to be someone's mother?

No comments: