view from a train in Norway

Monday, July 09, 2007

Off the Hook

For the sake of my sanity and because it is a constant interruption, I no longer answer the phone unless it is someone I know. I suppose you could call this screening. The screening process is complicated by the fact that some people will not leave messages. For instance, today the phone has been ringing off the hook all day. Four times, it was a recorded message (from banks, utilities, etc.). Screening spared me from having to interrupt my work to answer these calls. BUT - three or four other times, the phone rang until the answering machine picked up, and then whoever it was hung up without saying anything. Friend? Headhunter? Telemarketer? Now I'll never know. If you are my friend, I DO want to talk to you, so please please please say something to the answering machine so I know it's you!*

* As I was writing this, the phone rang twice more. Same thing - no message. The last time, I was so frustrated I went to go answer it, but didn't get to it in time. Who is it that wants to talk to me badly enough to call six times, but not badly enough to leave a message????

1 comment:

hyuuga chrissy said...

hi! i usually don't like leaving messages, but it wasn't me this time!