view from a train in Norway

Thursday, January 04, 2007

"He went out, not knowing whither he went."

Hebrews 11:8. I sat down with My Utmost for His Highest today (I fell a couple of days behind), and read this excerpt from a sermon of Oswald Chamber's. This devotional, and this man, have done a lot to shape how I read the Bible. January 2's excerpt spoke to the way we (general noun) seek to know the next step, the way the path leads, before we walk; how often we ask God what He is going to do, or where He is taking us. But Abraham by faith went out without knowing where He was going or what God was going to do to him once he got there. He went without asking any further questions, based solely on his trust in God's goodness. Oswald Chambers writes that "God does not tell you what He is going to do; He reveals to you Who He is."

And what matters more than Who God is?

I needed this reminder. The last few months - really, the last year - I've been repeatedly asking God where I'm going, where He's taking me, what the next step is. I've been so scared and worried, quitting my job without knowing what's going to happen, with just the belief that He's called me to be here, to be writing. But why is it scary? Why should it be scary that the plan is not in my hands? It should be a relief, for no plan that I could ever come up with could equal His plan, His master plan for me and for the coming of His kingdom. When I think about it this way, I see that I need to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and soon I'll be where He wants me to be. I don't need to know where that is before I get there because I trust Him that it will be a place of blessing far beyond my hopes. "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28.

No comments: