view from a train in Norway

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Yet Another House Post

These days I have a one-track mind: it's all about the house hunt. I spend my days looking at houses, thinking about houses, and at night, I dream about houses. I'm so obsessed that my obsession has spread to my own family and to my in-laws. We all talk houses day and night. (Well, okay, my siblings are not so interested.) But unless you want to talk about real estate, I got nothing to say.

I'm also turning into a little house whore. Every week I fall in love with a new house. I suppose this is more encouraging than if there were no houses that I liked. A few days ago I said that I was in love with this one house. Well, after visiting it three more times and nearly making an offer, we finally decided that it was too small and would take too much work. And, while some people enjoy the home improvement process, I am the sort of stress case that would hate it.

Today my broker sent me another listing, and I went to go see it with my mom this afternoon while my husband was at work. I LOVED it. My mother loved it. I would love to own it. Here's the catch: it's reachable only by narrow and windy roads. Hard to get to work, and, as my mother pointed out, will be difficult and possibly dangerous when we have children and have to chauffeur them around constantly. Also possibly difficult for people who come to visit us.

Argh. I want this house. If it had been easier to get to, we probably would have made an offer tomorrow. My broker leaves for vacation later this week and comes back in a week and a half. I guess I'll think about it until she gets back. I gotta say, I've fallen hard. But I guess I said that last week too.

No comments: