view from a train in Norway

Monday, November 27, 2006

Broke

I broke a pitcher today, one of my favorites, which we received as a wedding gift off our registry. I wasn't hurt; only the pitcher broke, because I did something very stupid. I poured hot water into it. Our apartment (uninsulated, poor heating) is very cold, and apparently the temperature differential was too much. I'm kicking myself because it actually occurred to me before I poured the water that maybe it wasn't such a good idea - but I did it anyway. So the pitcher broke. No big deal. It was expensive but not that expensive. So what's wrong with me? Not just today, not just about the pitcher, but about everything. I have so much to be thankful for - so very, very much. When I stop and think about all the things for which I have to be thankful, I just feel overwhelmed with how blessed I have been. So why do I find myself in tears over little things, like the pitcher breaking, like someone scratching the paint on my car? And not merely crying, but full-on weeping like the whole world broke around me?

No comments: